[MAGNet] The future of MAGNet (results of survey)

[MAGNet] The future of MAGNet (results of survey)

Ian Crew
All:

Thank you for your responses to the SurveyMonkey survey about whether we should merge the MAGNet list into the Micronet list.

The results
We got over 100 responses, which makes up about 15% of the combined membership of the lists.  We also heard from about 40% of the 50 or so UCB folks that are only on MAGNet.  That's a strikingly high response rate for an emailed survey.

Less than 10 of the responses came from folks who weren't current Staff/Facutly/Students.

The overall vote was over 80% in favor of combining the two lists.  Among the folks only on MAGNet, it was about a 50-50 split.

The comments
We also received over 40 thoughtful comments on the survey.  A few struck us as worth quoting here:

"There is information on both lists that may not apply at any given time that can just be deleted by users. One list at this point really makes sense as when there is information that is relevant to all, it has to be cross posted to make sure people who are only on one or the other receives it. If the subject of the email is Mac specific, that can be included as a tag such as [MAC] and PC specific [PC], that way people can easily determine if they should delete it right away and move on or actually read it."

"I wish there was a non-mailing list way to have Micronet/Magnet convos without filling my mailbox. Web based boards that would allow for conversation, rss feed, and archive. But then, I also wish that IST would have a web repository of the different announcements we send out to the campus, so I could review all the announcements from a given service. I can't really keep track of all the email in Magnet and Micronet now. I'm not that into merging or not merging and more for a different way of doing this."

"As a bit of background, we're an all-Mac office. And I already subscribe to Micronet as well as Magnet because there is always excellent information on Micronet that is NOT platform-specific. I think it'll simplify matters if there is just one list. Besides, as is the case with any maillist, it's easy enough to bypass/delete list comments that are not applicable to me or my office."

The decision
So, it seems to make good sense to merge the MAGNet mailing list into Micronet. This is not only because of these survey results but also--as the final comment above mentions--to increase the distribution of the useful, important, and non-platform-specific information that is often only posted to Micronet.

The way forward
Here's how we propose to do this:

1) Later this week (week of July 25), we will send an invitation to join Micronet to the 81 addresses that appear on MAGNet but not on Micronet.  If you are not currently a member of Micronet, you will need to follow the instructions in that message to be added to the Micronet list.  [1]

2) We will leave the MAGNet list running until Friday August 12th, at which point we will turn it off.  In the mean time, we will post several warning messages to that list.

3) We'd encourage all Micronet members to take up the first suggestion above and add the word "Mac" to the subject of posts that are only about Macs, and "PC" to posts that are only about PCs.

4) We agree that having a more sophisticated platform for discussions and announcements (the second suggestion above) would be of great benefit to the campus, but that's a rather large project.  Should a solution become more viable in the future, we--as a community--will revisit whether to move Micronet onto that new platform.  As a reminder, and potentially a solution, all posts sent to Micronet are currently archived on the web at:
and all MAGNet posts are at:
It appears that it may also be possible to post to these lists via the web interface at Nabble, but that's not something we've ever tried.  If you figure out how it's done and have any tips, please do share them with the list.

Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Aron Roberts
Ian Crew
MAGNet and Micronet list admins

Notes:
[1] You may recieve one of these invitations even if you are already subscribed to Micronet.  This will happen if you are subscribed to MAGNet from one address (e.g., [hidden email]) and Micronet from another (e.g., [hidden email]).  In that case, no action is necessary--just ignore the invitation.

Ian Crew
Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] [Micronet] The future of MAGNet (results of survey)

Liz Marsh
All-
As the manager of communications for IST and OCIO, I found the second
quote below interesting. In case people don't already know, many (but not
all) of the IST service announcements distributed on Micronet are also
published and archived as iNews articles (see http://inews.berkeley.edu/).
iNews publishes IT-related articles that we believe to be of broad
interest to the campus community. Anyone interested in getting information
out about an IT-related project, service or accomplishment is welcome to
submit an article for consideration. Instructions on how to do that are
available on the iNews site.

Regarding an archive exclusively for IST service-related announcements,
that is not currently something we do but are willing to consider if there
is broad enough interest in having something like that available. If you
feel that such an archive would be useful please respond to me offline. If
there is sufficient interest I will pursue options with the Communications
team.

Thanks,

Liz