[MAGNet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: [Micronet] Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

[MAGNet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: [Micronet] Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

Ian Crew

On Jul 20, 2011, at 2:14 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

If we're going to cross-post items about Mac-specific products on both
Micronet and MAGnet, then why bother having a magnet-list?  Why not
combine the users and make them all be on micronet?  Micronet is the
multi-platform IT list or campus.  Really, I have been thinking about this
for years, and, somehow, I have managed to keep my mouth shut about it.
But we've already let unix-sysadmin and pcsystems fall by the wayside,
maybe it's time for MAGnet as well?

For what it's worth, the Micronet list currently has 618 active subscriptions, and the Magnet list has 209.  Of the 209 people on MAGNet, someplace between 52 and 81 of them [1] are not currently members of Micronet.

From the point of view of Aron Roberts and myself (Aron's the primary maintainer of the MAGNet and Micronet lists, I'm the backup), we're all for merging the two lists and killing off MAGNet.

All: What say ye?  I'd be particularly interested in hearing from the folks who are on MAGNet but not Micronet....

Cheers,

Ian

Note:
[1] I got the 52-81 range instead of a distinct number because I calculated it three different ways:
- First, I just did a straight-up diff of all of the addresses on both lists.  That resulted in 81 differences.
- Second, I replaced all of the @foo.bar.berkeley.edu addresses on both lists with just @berkeley.edu and ran the diff again.  That would eliminate false differences like me subscribing to Micronet as [hidden email] and to MAGNet as [hidden email]. That resulted in 75 differences.
- Third, operating on the theory that this is a Berkeley-focused mailing list, so decisions should be made based on our berkeley.edu subscribers, I eliminated the 29 non-berkeley.edu subscribers to MAGNet and re-ran the diff.  (This was with the "second" step done, too.  So this is probably the lowest-end number.)  That resulted in 52 differences.

Ian Crew
Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: [Micronet] Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

Roy A. Baril
Hmmmmmm..... does that mean I will get a lot of email not pertinent to my site or needs? If so, keep 'em separated......

Best,

Roy

On 7/20/2011 2:52 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

On Jul 20, 2011, at 2:14 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

If we're going to cross-post items about Mac-specific products on both
Micronet and MAGnet, then why bother having a magnet-list?  Why not
combine the users and make them all be on micronet?  Micronet is the
multi-platform IT list or campus.  Really, I have been thinking about this
for years, and, somehow, I have managed to keep my mouth shut about it.
But we've already let unix-sysadmin and pcsystems fall by the wayside,
maybe it's time for MAGnet as well?

For what it's worth, the Micronet list currently has 618 active subscriptions, and the Magnet list has 209.  Of the 209 people on MAGNet, someplace between 52 and 81 of them [1] are not currently members of Micronet.

From the point of view of Aron Roberts and myself (Aron's the primary maintainer of the MAGNet and Micronet lists, I'm the backup), we're all for merging the two lists and killing off MAGNet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about MAGNet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list, please visit the MAGNet Web site: http://magnet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] [Micronet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

John D. MacDonald

Isn't the name reason enough to kill it?

On 7/20/2011 2:52 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2011, at 2:14 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
>
>> If we're going to cross-post items about Mac-specific products on
>> both Micronet and MAGnet, then why bother having a magnet-list? Why
>> not combine the users and make them all be on micronet? Micronet is
>> the multi-platform IT list or campus.  Really, I have been thinking
>> about this for years, and, somehow, I have managed to keep my mouth
>> shut about it. But we've already let unix-sysadmin and pcsystems
>> fall by the wayside, maybe it's time for MAGnet as well?
>
> For what it's worth, the Micronet list currently has 618 active
> subscriptions, and the Magnet list has 209.  Of the 209 people on
> MAGNet, someplace between 52 and 81 of them [1] are not currently
> members of Micronet.
>
> From the point of view of Aron Roberts and myself (Aron's the primary
> maintainer of the MAGNet and Micronet lists, I'm the backup), we're
> all for merging the two lists and killing off MAGNet.
>
> All: What say ye?  I'd be particularly interested in hearing from the
> folks who are on MAGNet but not Micronet....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
> Note: [1] I got the 52-81 range instead of a distinct number because
> I calculated it three different ways: - First, I just did a
> straight-up diff of all of the addresses on both lists.  That
> resulted in 81 differences. - Second, I replaced all of the
> @foo.bar.berkeley.edu addresses on both lists with just
> @berkeley.edu and ran the diff again.  That would eliminate false
> differences like me subscribing to Micronet as
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> and to
> MAGNet as [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>. That
> resulted in 75 differences. - Third, operating on the theory that
> this is a Berkeley-focused mailing list, so decisions should be made
> based on our berkeley.edu <http://berkeley.edu> subscribers, I
> eliminated the 29 non-berkeley.edu <http://non-berkeley.edu>
> subscribers to MAGNet and re-ran the diff. (This was with the
> "second" step done, too.  So this is probably the lowest-end number.)
> That resulted in 52 differences.
>
> Ian Crew Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub Information
> Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies University
> of California, Berkeley 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

> unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming
> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known
> you in the past.

- --
- -

===================================
 John D. MacDonald
 Information Systems Architect

 UC Berkeley School of Law - IS&T
 366 Boalt Hall
 510-642-7191
===================================

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] [Micronet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

Roy A. Baril
Really???

On Jul 20, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

All: What say ye?  I'd be particularly interested in hearing from the folks who are on MAGNet but not Micronet....

I've already gotten several responses to this question in private email, so, to save myself from having to tabulate them all, I just created a very short 3-question (all multiple choice) SurveyMonkey survey on this:

Please fill it out when you can.  Aron and I will have a look at the results sometime next week and make a decision.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Crew
Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] [Micronet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

Aron Roberts-2
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Roy A. Baril <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hmmmmmm..... does that mean I will get a lot of email not pertinent to my
> site or needs? If so, keep 'em separated......

  This is my opinion only, but I'd expect that most active campus IT
professionals will at some point find their way to becoming subscribed
to Micronet.  The fact that, as Ian noted, over 3/4 of the
Berkeley-affiliated people on the MAGNet list are also subscribed to
the Micronet list gives some credence to that expectation ...  There
are many general interest IT announcements and discussions that are
posted exclusively to Micronet, although some of them are cross-posted
by volunteers to MAGNet and other groups.

  As some background, the MAGNet list was created in 1994, when the
distinctions between the interests and concerns of People Who Support
Macs and those of People Who Support the Rest of the PC and
Workstation World on the Berkeley campus was arguably wider than it is
today.

Aron Roberts
> [...]

> Berkeley, CA 94720
> 510-643-9215 -- Work
> 510-643-9136 -- Fax
> 925-352-9543 -- Cell

> visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] [Micronet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

In that case, let the majority rule. A little information never killed an IT person.

Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
UC Berkeley
journalism.berkeley.edu

On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:12 PM, Aron Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> 121 North Gate Hall
>> Berkeley, CA 94720
>> 510-643-9215 -- Work
>> 510-643-9136 -- Fax
>> 925-352-9543 -- Cell

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

[MAGNet] Survey to determine the fate of MAGNet (was Re: Why MAGNet?)

Ian Crew
All:

We're currently right at about 10% of the combined membership of MAGNet and Micronet having responded to the survey below about whether we should merge the MAGNet list into Micronet.

If you'd like to have a say and haven't done so already, please weigh in!  I'd be very surprised if the survey takes more than 30 seconds to complete.

Cheers,

Ian

On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

[...] I just created a very short 3-question (all multiple choice) SurveyMonkey survey on this:

[...]  Aron and I will have a look at the results sometime next week and make a decision.

Ian Crew
Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

http://magnet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [MAGNet] [Micronet] Why MAGNet? (was Re: Apple Announcements including Lion/Lion Server licensing)

Vic Wong
At 11:31 PM -0700 7/20/11, Roy Baril wrote:
>In that case, let the majority rule. A little information never
>killed an IT person.
>
>Roy A. Baril

Let me confirm Aron's post: I've been supporting Macs for many years
and because of the prevalence of the internet, find almost all of the
Micronet postings informative and relevant.

Vic

--
Victor Wong   (510) 642-5031